Becoming a state certified driving instructor can be a great job for someone that absolutely loves cars and driving, and that loves working with people. As a state certified driving instructor, it will be your job to help drivers get prepared for their final driving exam at the DMV. When it comes down to it, you will be working with teenagers who are learning to drive for the first time and adults who haven’t driven in a long time. Many of the adult drivers who haven’t driven in a long time are required to re-take their driving test before they get their license. Here are five tips for becoming a state certified driving instructor.
- Make sure that you have a spotless driving record. When you are a certified driving instructor, you don’t want to have any infractions on your license – nor points – and you certainly don’t want any moving or traffic violations. Having a clean driving record is critical, so before you apply for a position as a driving instructor, you may want to make sure that you don’t have any infractions on your license that you don’t know about.
- Practice driving. When you are a certified driving instructor, it is important to have some advanced lessons on how to drive. When it comes to getting your specialize certificate, it is important that you are an excellent driver. Not only that, but you want to be a safe driver. So, you want to do a few practice runs around your neighborhood before you head in to take your final exam. While on your practice exams, you may want to take a family member for a ride along, because they can not only help mimic the student and teacher dynamic, but it is a good way to get constructive criticism.
- Build your patience and listening skills. Becoming a certified driving instructor requires careful listening skills and patience. When it comes down to it, some of your students may have no idea how to drive, so it can take some very special attention on your side to make them feel comfortable. When you are driving for the first time, you don’t necessarily want someone to be constantly yelling.
- Use the web to find a position. When it comes down to it, you can easily visit BestDriverJobs.com to find listings of all sorts of driving jobs. If you look hard enough, you can find some incredible positions teaching students how to drive. As a certified driving instructor, you will essentially be working for yourself, but there are also opportunities to work for high schools and even colleges.
- Study for your exam. As a certified driving instructor, you will need to take an exam in order to get your certification. So, it is important study as hard as you can for the exam. Not passing the exam could mean the difference between becoming a driving instructor and not becoming one. The exam will go over everything from how to give people driving tutorials to how to operate a vehicle. Becoming a driving instructor can be a great way to secure a longterm career.